Sunday, June 14, 2009

Looks are Deceiving

Racoon

This is a picture of a raccoon I took last spring.  He was curled up in my side yard and didn’t seem to want to scat on command.  When I walked towards him, he only moved a few feet up a tree, then stopped to look at me. 

Cute as a button.  Right?  Adorable, even.  But waving an invisible red flag.

Even when raccoons are exhibiting normal behavior, they aren’t something I want my kids to stumble upon.  So, since my husband was at work, I called a kindly neighbor to remove him.

It would seem we have more raccoons living around on our property then all the state campgrounds combined.  So far, we have removed 4 more of them since my last post about raccoons and their garbage raiding parties.  It’s crazy!

We did find what was keeping the trap from tripping so many times.  A rock had gotten wedged between the wire and the tripping plate.  It was one of those “duh” moments.

Tonight will be the last time we set the trap for a while, as my husband leaves tomorrow for his second business trip to Germany. He will be gone for ten days.  So I hope the remaining raccoons behave themselves!

My husband’s last trip was only 6 days.  I’m hoping that with the boys and I keeping busy, it won’t seem like an eternity.

What will we do while he is gone?

That’s a good question!

We’ll visit the Library, go shoe shopping, mow tons of grass, pick peas, tie up tomato plants, and do some packing for vacation.  (We leave for Pa a few days after my husband gets home.)

We’ll also do some swimming.  O.K., a LOT of swimming.  We’re pet sitting for a neighbor friend, and taking care of her pool.  And, the easiest way to clean the pool is to jump in, stir it up, and let the filter do the work.  Tough job.  But I think we can handle it!  Lol!

4 comments:

Mari said...

That picture is adorable although I know they really are a huge nuisance. Hope the time while your husband is gone, goes quickly!

Keetha Broyles said...

New raccoons may be taking the place of the trapped ones just as quickly as you trap them.

Anonymous said...

How funny!! I just posted about a racoon this morning! :) You are right. They are adorable, but I do know why they wear that little "mask". hee hee

You can always visit me in TN-- we can do something until your hubby returns. :) Have a great day.

Candace said...

If you get "bored" or need some "adult" conversation - we could get the boys together - it would be good to see you!