Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Too Many Balls Under My Car: Make Your Own Ball Storage System

My garage was being over-run with balls. Thousands of balls.


Too Many BallsWell, maybe not thousands. But when I’m tripping over them constantly (or popping them with my car), it seems that way. Our giant garbage bag was overflowing.


Normally, come spring, I buy a BIG tote, drill holes in the bottom, and store the balls out by the playground.


But a bin still traps some stagnant water, yucky leaves and big old’ spiders. It also gets blown away in windy storms, cracks easily, and makes it harder for the boys to retrieve a particular ball without emptying the whole thing. Naturally, it is way too difficult to put them all back in before running off…


So, I decided to make something like what you see in Wal-Mart Too Many Balls Frameor the Grocery store.


Using some cedar scraps (rejects from a place that makes lattice), I screwed together a simple wooden frame.


Then, I drilled 1/4 inch holes at 5 and 1/2 inch intervals around the top and bottom.


Next, I began threading macramé yarn (stretchy, but strong) down through one hole and up through the next. (Tip: Wrap tape around two inches of the end of the string to make it easier to thread.)


I wove the string up and down along all four sides, and then took a separate piece and wove it back and forth across one end (the bottom). Only, in the next picture, the bottom is the top—for obvious reasons. :)


Too Many Balls PossibilitiesThough it would have been tempting to use it like this (oh, SO tempting, lol!), I turned it open side up, and put it next to the house.


Meet our new ball bin!


Too Many Balls Contained


This post is linked to:


Talk About Tuesday


Check them out for more great ideas!

13 comments:

Faith - That's Just Freaking Lovely said...

I would have been tempted to leave them there too, LOL. Very crafty solution!

Christina said...

How clever! I have to say that's probably the one of the best uses for macrame yarn that I've ever heard of! And the picture of your sons hamming it us made me truly laugh out loud.

Frugal Sara said...

What an awesome idea. We have this same problem. You are very clever!

MoodyMommy said...

What a great idea!! Our balls are rolling all over our yard...This would be so much better!!

Pam said...

That is a great idea! We have way to many balls rolling around in our garage too. Plus, I love that photo of your boys in the bin. Now that's a great way to get double duty out of it! : )

The Happy Housewife said...

Oh this is an awesome idea. I have been thinking about trying to make something similar but wasn't sure what to use!
Toni

Mary @Raising 4 God Men said...

That is soooooooooooooo NEAT ! I am going to show hubby and BIL and maybe I can get one made for our home. HEE he on the kids being contained. That seems like a good idea certain days. lol

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

That is very clever! I would be tempted to use it for kid wrangling too!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh you are a brilliant one!!!!

LOL about the boys INSIDE the ball bin!!!

Cheryl said...

Great idea, I love it.

L2L said...

Now that is my idea of a good time out, lol. Awesome idea, I'm going to have to show the hubby this one!!!

Jackie said...

What a fabulous and frugal idea! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this idea! This will be a great project for our long weekend next weekend!