What could be better than savoring a spoonful of warm apple crisp as you sit around the campfire with friends and family??
This was the first time I tried this and I will definitely be making it again!
Crock Pot Apple Crisp (Great for Fall Camping!!)
- 6-8 medium baking apples,
- 1 tsp lemon juice (to toss the prepared apples in to keep them fresh),
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats,
- 2/3 cup flour,
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon,
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg,
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (not melted)
And if you like your apple crisp sweet…
- a container of sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on the apples before you add the topping, or on each serving once it’s cooked to suit your taste.
Before you leave home, use a pastry blender to combine the butter and dry ingredients, then toss the mixture into a zip lock bag and put it into the cooler to take with you.
At the campsite, peel and slice 6-8 apples right into the crock pot. (If you use a liner, you won’t even have to clean the crock pot afterwards!) We skipped the lemon juice since our cooler space was limited. Sprinkle the apple slices with sugar and cinnamon and stir them up if you like your crisp a little sweeter.
Dump the crumb mixture on top of the apples, place a double paper towel between the lid and the crock to absorb moisture, and cook on high for 2 hours, or until apples are tender.
Scoop, sprinkle with more sugar and cinnamon to taste, and enjoy!
Yep, I have a pretty major sweet tooth, lol!