Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DIY: Soccer Goal/Kicking Practice Wall

When my boys started playing soccer almost two years ago, a friend of mine suggested the boys use a soccer wall to practice their kicks against. Her husband had constructed a hefty kicking wall in their own back yard, and I was impressed.
Sinking posts in cement and screwing a well-built wall to the posts would have been ideal. But to be honest, I didn't have the money for the supplies, and wasn't sure how much the boys would use it.
So, I simply used what we had on hand to try out the idea.  You can see the finished project below. Do It Yourself Soccer Wall
Here was my plan:
  • First, find a good spot that can take stray balls sailing through.
  • Use a string line to make sure the three posts will be aligned enough to attach the wall.
  • Drive three or four large metal fence posts into the ground, spaced around 4 feet apart, along the line.  (We had fence posts on hand from an old cattle fence we took down.)
  • Attach an eight foot by six foot section of privacy fence using large wire ties at top and bottom of each post. A wall with thicker slats would probably take more aggressive play.  But, I simply used a section we had taken down from another place in the yard.
  • For a finishing touch, we used a few upright logs from the woodpile to help return wide kicks.
2011 Update:  What do we think after almost two years?
It has held up remarkably well, and has turned out to be the most-used feature in our yard!  Our whole family enjoys playing there. 
Soccer goals can be expensive, and frankly, this DIY Soccer Goal is working great!  The kids can still practice their kicking accuracy.  Plus, they can work on their reaction skills, even if they are practicing alone.   I like that.
Sometimes, it even gets used as a backstop for their base ball games!
I think it was a project well worth my time and effort!

May 10, 2012 Update:  We loved the wall so much, we just replaced it with a beefed-up more permanent version.  You can check out what we did here!

Since time is short (because of soccer, of course!), I’m letting this favorite (and updated) family project do double duty. I’m linking it up to Kimba’s DIY projects as well as Works For Me Wednesday.  (That is, if I remember to come back and link it up!  Lol!) 
Have fun with all the tips and projects!

9 comments:

Mari said...

What a great idea! I'm going to tell my sister who has soccer players in her family.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I would have loved that as a kid! What a great idea!

Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate said...

Oh my goodness, I wish you lived closer I would have you come build one of those at my house! It's awesome!!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great idea! Good idea to operate in stealth mode! :)
gail

It Feels Like Chaos said...

What an awesome and useful idea!

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Such a great idea! My girls like to "play soccer", but they don't kick very hard yet! LOL :)

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

My son started soccer this year. He's starting to get the hang of it but I keep telling him it takes practice. Thanks for the tips!

Tracey said...

Terrific idea - and you implmented it beautifully!!

Laurie Madsen said...

My daughter is actually asking for a wall to play soccer on for Christmas. She says, "Please, I just really want a wall to play soccer on." My husband wasn't sure but since I showed him this is feels a little better about it. I love the project and think it's a great idea. However, although it won't fit under the tree we will use a picture of your wall and then a gift card for where we will shop for supplies. Thank you!