Friday, June 12, 2009

This Soccer Mom Rebels

Soccer Portrait 1 Soccer Portrait 2

A few weeks ago, my boys’ soccer league had a photographer come and offer outrageously expensive (in my opinion) individual and team photos.

I looked over the paperwork and novelty items on their display tables.  Then, in an act of total rebellion (quite out of character for me), I got out my camera and took my OWN pictures of each boy.  Off to the side.  Away from the crowd.

Then, feeling slightly bolder, I went over to the team while the photographer was setting up the group picture.  And right over his shoulder, I took my own picture  (GASP!).  Trying  not to feel like a total social outcast for being so openly cheap.

And you know what happened?  Other mom’s got out their cameras and stood in my shadow.  Now that’s weighty stuff when you incite other mom’s to step out of their boxes.  Lol!

Granted, we could have taken our pictures at a different time or at a different location and let our “lack of purchasing” do the speaking about their prices.  But something in me wanted to take an open stand against the highway robbery of these traveling sports photographers. 

We love our kiddos as much as the next family.  But in today’s economy, I feel the responsibility to watch our dollars and wade upstream when necessary, even if I am branded a social misfit for the rest of my life. 

These are my pictures.  And because I took a stand, some other moms have some great pictures, too.  I’m not sorry in the least for making waves this time.  Getting photos to treasure, while staying on budget is a finer thing, in my book.

Join us at:PhotoStory Friday

Finer Things Friday

Friday’s Foto Finish Fiesta      and

By the way, my oldest (first picture) had his braces put on the day before and was in a fair amount of pain.  So I REALLY appreciate him being a good sport while his mom took pictures.

11 comments:

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Good for you! I feel the same way and I don't buy school pix for the same reason WAY too expensive! (I do try to get the class pictures.)

Tracey said...

You did a great job! I agree with the commenter above about school pictures, also - they're usually outrageously priced, so we head over to Portrait Innovations and get a huge package for $9.99.

Ryanne said...

Good on ya! I think they are a rip off, and that stigma that goes on you if you don't "care" enough to buy pictures is silly. I my eyes you did the right thing! IF they want people to buy their shots, get them to drop the prices!

Sharon said...

Good For YOU! It is the same reason I let Hubs buy a expensive camera and get into his photography hobby! I get GREAT pics for FREE!! (well almost free....!)

Penny said...

LOL! I can just picture it - You GO girl! GREAT photos.

Chris said...

Take back the power!

I take ALL of the team/school/whatever else pictures for our family, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it. And then I share the team pictures with the other parents.

The days of having to settle for the one chance pose are over.

Your pictures look great!

Joy @ Five J's said...

WooHoo! You get 'em girl! I would have…well, I would have at least WANTED to do what you did. Not sure if I'd have had the guts to do it though. I WOULD have had the guts not to pay the outrageous prices. :)

Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate said...

I think you rock for doing that! Sounds like a smart move. :)

scrappysue said...

excellent rebellion - i do that all the time! good job and thanks for stopping by!

Candace said...

I agree. I took Zachary's soccer uniform to Target when we did his 6 year old pictures and they did an awesome job and I got the soccer pictures and his 6 year old pictures for only 3.99 a sheet and no sitting fee! Much more economical!

Amy @ Finer Things said...

I did that last year. :) Didn't take the team photo where the photographer did, but I think mine turned out better! With digital cameras and processing, it's just not necessary to pay those crazy prices anymore.

Good for you!