Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tissues, Party Hats, and Milk Shakes

Lilly

Isn’t this lily beautiful?  We brought her with us from Pa when we moved to the Midwest 6 years ago.  She is evidently liking her new home.

I’m feeling kind of sentimental this morning.  Just shy of a basket case, actually.  My boys are at school finishing up their final day for the year. 

For my oldest, it is his FINAL day of elementary school.  For my middle son, he will officially become a fifth grader. 

Whew!  There are so many mixed feelings swirling around inside me.  I can’t decide whether to  take a box of tissues or a party hat to their talent show this afternoon.  Maybe both?  Definitely my camera!  Lol!

Yet, as happy a day as today is for the boys, tomorrow’s orthodontist visit is standing like a shadow in the back of our minds.

By this time tomorrow morning, my oldest will have his herbst and top braces in place.  His teeth have been very sensitive because of the spacers.  So I have no doubt that tomorrow will begin a very painful and trying couple of weeks of adjustment for him. 

The herbst appliance will force his bottom jaw forward as he grows. 

If you are new to my blog, this is what the appliance looks like, along with the top braces:

Escape of Indiana Jones The second consultRather intimidating…

I would SO very much appreciate your prayers for him.  That he will adjust quickly.  That he would be patient with himself as he figures out how to speak with it, and chew, etc. 

He will be on a soft diet for a week or two.  So I’ll be buying stock in the ice cream industry to keep him fed.  He has already been practicing his technique for making the best shakes, which his brothers are happy to taste test for him.  Naturally.

The treatment coordinator encouraged us to keep Tylenol and Advil on board, and to keep him busy.  To distract him as much as possible. 

So we are keeping our plans to attend a celebration party with a few of his friends and their families tomorrow night.  And taking tubs of ice cream, of course!

If you have any other ideas for distractions, I would SO love to hear them.  I have a feeling, I’ll be scrounging for ideas.

Thanks for being such a supportive group of readers!   You guys are the best, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.  I may not be able to post an update tomorrow.  But I will try to let you know how things are going over the weekend.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Beautiful lily! I'll be praying - braces are no fun!