Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Milk Shake King

Swimming 2

Yesterday’s Orthodontist’s visit went so much better than I thought it possibly could! 

I had my doubts when we arrived at the office.  My son was nearly beside himself with dread, and ooooozing with bad attitude.

When we were called back, the staff was so incredibly “cheery” I thought he might actually come unglued.  Poor guy.

The very-happy-lady polished his teeth and inserted the cheek retractors, and I had the fleeting thought that perhaps my husband should have accompanied him. 

Oh. My. GOODNESS.  His little cheeks were stretched beyond what any mom should have to see.  And all the while, the very-happy-lady asked him questions he couldn’t possible answer. 

I (instead) answered kindly, all the while hoping she wasn’t noticing the huge rolling his eyes were doing.  Completely around the top of his eye sockets. 

To have him knock it off, I had to give him a look of my own.  Which brought only another roll of his eyes.

By the time the Orthodontist came to set the braces, I was pretty certain my son was at the end of his good humor (as if he had started out with much to begin with). 

That is, until I noticed his tongue doing a little open air dance in the middle of his ridiculously wide lips--for the benefit of the little mirror he held in his hands.  I about snorted right there in the middle of my conversation with the staff.  It was just so absurd looking, which apparently was something that appealed to the boy in my boy.

That’s when I knew he was going to be O.K.   

Although he worried at first about what his friends would say, I think he is past that now.  Our pool party (see the picture above) was the best thing in the world for him.  It not only distracted him from the pain, it gave him the chance to see that his friends had nothing but compassion for him.  They actually thought it was pretty cool!

It will be a while before he is ready to venture off his soft diet (of mostly milk shakes).  And we are alternating between Tylenol and Advil to keep the pain at a minimum.  But his attitude has improved tremendously. 

I’m SO proud of him! 

We actually dissolved into giggles tonight as I attempted to help him with the twenty minute cleaning routine.  I think he is going to be just fine.  :)  Thank you, Lord! 

 And thank all of you for praying!

Once the pain isn’t so fresh, maybe the Milk Shake King will feel comfortable enough to let me post a better picture.

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Those really do hurt your mouth at first - - - but my kids got used to them really quickly.

Mari said...

I'm so glad that part is done and all of you survived!

Veggiemomof2 said...

The entire time I had braces the dr would ask me questions while in the chair & I answered (while being worked on.) You'd be amazed how well they can understand us. It's like a dental language ;)