Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rust Reformer

Maybe I’m the last person in the world to realize the existence of a product like this.  But just in case I’m not…Umbrella stand 1

Rust-oleum makes a product called Rust Reformer that does wonders for your rusty junk—if you have any, that is!  WE have plenty.

This rusty old umbrella stand was one of the things I used it on. umbrella stand 2

All you do is remove flaky paint, wipe off dirt and grit, and spray it on.  It goes on black.  

As it says on the can, Rust Reformer converts the rusty surface to “a protected, painted surface!”  Then you can paint it like normal with whatever color you want!  My husband said it actually causes a chemical reaction.  Cool, eh?

I can attest that it doesn’t just cover the rust.  It does, indeed, stop it! 

And, no, I’m not getting paid to promote this product.  However, if a Rust-oleum representative were to thank me with a free can, I would probably do a little dance!!

One can goes a long way since you only need one coat for it to do its magic.

The partial can I found in the garage (left-over from refinishing the tractor and mower deck last year) treated:

  1. the umbrella stand,
  2. two full-sized basket ball goal poles and their hardware,
  3. a three-seater metal lawn swing AND it’s frame,
  4. and a five and a half year old dent on my right front car fender (which always seems to be on the bottom of our priority list to fix.) 

And it still has a fair amount left in the can!  I can’t say enough to the credit of this product.  It’s a frugal-minded, rusty junk keeper’s very best buddy.

I believe we purchased our can up at ACE Hardware (for around 7 or 11 dollars??)  But you can probably find it anywhere they sell paint.  I’m sure Lowes has a version of it.

It sure beats buying new stuff—or spending gobs of time sanding and cleaning rusty stuff to paint! 

If you are looking for more great ideas, don’t forget to check out these meme’s today.  If you have a tip or idea you want to share, why not join in the fun and leave your link there, as well?

  Talk About Tuesday

Happy Tuesday!

6 comments:

Lara said...

Great advice! I can't think of anything that needs it right now but I'm sure I will be using this in the future. Thanks!

Mari said...

Thanks for passing this tip on - I'm sure I can use it!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Wow! Living on the beach that stuff would come in handy my friend. I'm glad I stopped by today!
Big hugs.
Kim

Penny said...

I can think of manymanymany things at our house that needs this. Thanks for the tip, and welcome back to cyberspace!

Robyn said...

Great job! I was just looking at my moms rusty umbrella stand today and thinking it needed to be fixed up. I'll have to check into that.

Thanks!
Robyn
Mom All Day

Canadagirl said...

Thank you so much for this GREAT tip ! I never thought of using it on rust spots on cars. It was a duh moment,lol.

I love seeing all what you are doing and making what you have all pretty and new looking.

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary