Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Make a BIG Statement with this Birthday Decorating Idea!

10 years oldWe recently celebrated our middle son’s Tenth Birthday.  Sigh.  How could that be?

Anyways, he is one who craves the fuss.  Without family in the state, that isn’t always possible every year.  This was one of those years.  And since the birthday fell in the middle of the week, it made it even tougher to make the actual day special.

So after he went to school, I was racking my brain trying to think of what we could do that would make a statement to him that he was loved and important.  (Nothing like procrastination.) 

Balloons always pop before the party can begin.  Note:  There were four balloons attached to the light post, and five to the mailbox.  You just can’t depend on them…or maybe they just don’t like ME!

What I came up with spoke to the entire neighborhood!!

Birthday Decorations 2

I took different colored electrical tape (yes, they make it in all kinds of wonderful colors!) and transformed my garage doors into a giant sign for all the world!  (I smudged out his name to post this picture)  You should have seen his face when he got home from school!  It was priceless!!!

Birthday Decorations 6

I also put tens on everything from the mailbox, to the basketball hoops.  I even decorated our benches and shed doors. 

He was wildly excited.  And he felt special.  Sigh.  Job accomplished.

My only caution if you do this would be to not leave it on for too long.  Some of the tape goo may choose to stick.

But a little Goo Gone will make short work of it if it does.  However, if your mailbox has old paint, don’t tape it.  We now have silver tens waiting to be painted.  Oops!!

Birthday Decorations 3

Making stand-out birthday wishes is just plain fun!  Perhaps a little TOO much fun…Lol!  My husband asked if he had any tape left…:)

Now, don’t forget to head on over to We Are That Family to get your fill of other Works For Me Wednesday tips!

Edit:  I forgot one more tip!

Birthday Decorations 4 cake The Sunday before the big day, we picked up this CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE (OH MY GOODNESS RICH) cake from the Walmart bakery case and they decorated it for free.  The soccer balls got a little smashed by the lid.   But it beat a sheet cake hands down—both in price and taste!!!  

(I smudged his name with photo shop to post a picture.) 

He absolutely loved it!!  And so did I, naturally.  :)

7 comments:

Jen S. said...

great job of making your son feel extra special and loved! :)

I love your ideas!

Jen

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh - - - really, really, really cute and creative idea!!! Just think what one could do for a "50" or a "60" or some other "over the hill" age!!!! I'm so impressed with how uniform and neat your tape letters are!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh - - - one more thing - - - the mylar balloons cost a bit more, but they LAST through the entire event. I've used them for the graduation "galas" of my two youngest and they held up even in a "gale force" wind!!!!

eworpell said...

What a great idea! My hubby turns 30 today-I may just have to run out for some tape before he gets home from work-I know my kids would love to "help" too. Thanks for sharing! :)

Tiffany said...

Great idea! My hubby and I are adopting soon, and I'm soaking up all the special ideas I can get. :)

Erin @ Closing Time said...

Great idea. I know he will remember that you did this for him his whole life! What a special memory!!

Niki Jolene said...

That is really cool!

:)