Friday, May 15, 2009

Soccer Scenes …and a Confession

With two weeknight practices, and two Saturday games (all a 35 minute drive away), soccer has been playing piggy-wiggy with our time.  Sometimes finding time for homework and meals is a challenge!  

Soccer team huddle

This is their 3v3 team.  Three boys and two girls.  My two are up on their knees.

It’s funny, I don’t know if I told you this, but the first time my boys laid eyes on the two small girls joining their team, they looked at me with that look.  You know,the look that says, …aw no, girls??

However, those girls have some serious foot skills and my boys quickly changed their attitude, if not their tune.  In fact, those girls have been prolific scorers in the games so far!  Lol!

Soccer game 5_9

Here’s a fun picture of my middle guy taking a shot on goal.  You can just make out the blue ball under Number 3’s left arm pit.  I can’t remember if this shot was a goal or not.  (My oldest is playing defense in the background.)

Through it all, my youngest has become a reluctant soccer fan.  Although excited and attentive at first, I think the sheer volume of time we spend at the field has taken its toll. 

Reluctant Soccer FanThis is the little guy.  Can you guess what he’s doing?  He’s playing Mario Kart on his DS.  I say, whatever keeps him close-by and out of trouble is just fine with me!!! 

And now, before I say one thing more, I have a confession of bad mothering to lay out before you.  (As if you weren’t already doubting my mothering skills for letting my four-year-old submerse himself in a video game.)

This past Saturday, our games were an hour and a half apart and it was rainy and yucky.  So sitting in the car between games, I caved to the back seat masses crying for food and we headed to McDonalds for a quick bite of lunch. 

Do you know where this is going?  Of course you do, because you would have been much wiser than I.

The second game was a killer.  They faced players on the team heading to nationals and were forced to sprint back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth.

My oldest stayed on defense, fairly well  planted by our goal.  But my middle boy was running his heart out. 

Then I saw him put his hand on his stomach and begin to show signs of trouble.

About 4 minutes into the second half, he just barely made it to the side of the field before he unloaded his lunch at the coaches feet.

Oh goodness!

What was I thinking???   Why did I cave to those cries for fries?  I felt like a bad mom who should have seen this coming. 

My son was embarrassed and felt like the whole crowd was watching him.  But I knew better.  They were all watching ME and wondering what kind of mother stuffs her boy with fries right before a game.   

But it was too late.  Live and learn, I did, as I led him to the bathroom facilities.

And pray for a cleansing rain before the next teams played!

On a positive note, the remaining players only lost by one goal.  A real accomplishment, if you ask me. 

3 comments:

Mari said...

That's an interesting thought! I love libraries too - I actually just came from ours.

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh I HOPE so, and that is one GORGEOUS book bag!!!!

Cheryl said...

I love the library, imagine all the reading we can finally catch up on if there are libraries in Heaven!