Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Plant?

While picking up my tomato and cucumber plants, the nice man at the plant stand said, “Hey, you have to try these!” 

He went on to fill the rest of my flat with various exotic looking little plants. I’m always game for trying new things.  As long as they’re legal, right?  Lol!

DSC_0082Only, now, I don’t remember what this plant is or what to do with it!  Lol!

It is very healthy looking, and growing little balloon like things that remind me of Chinese lanterns.  I’m hoping one of you know what they are and what to do with them. That’s assuming it’s the little lantern thingies I’m supposed to be picking!

DSC_0080

My cucumbers and tomatoes are doing pretty well.  In fact, I’m going to try a new cucumber relish recipe today.  I want something that is sweet with a little heat.  I found two recipes online and I’m thinking of pulling a little from each to experiment.  We’ll see how it goes!

My squash plants have a pretty bad case of mildew, I think.  With all the rain, I’m not surprised.  DSC_0087 My husband sprayed them with some kind of antifungal spray, but it doesn’t seem to be helping. 

Thankfully, my volunteer plants (and weeds) are thriving.  They are producing a squash that seems to be a cross between zucchini and yellow summer.  DSC_0088

What did you plant this year, and how is it growing?  Anyone know what my mystery plant is???? 

5 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looks like Chinese Lantern plant to me. They eventually turn orange. That's my best guess.

Christine said...

I have no idea what that plant is.

Your garden looks marvelous! Ours was doing so well, and then we went on vacation. It makes me sad to go out there now. The beans and cukes were ready to pick while we were gone, so many can't be eaten (I'll cook them for the chicks at least). I managed to can 7 quarts of each before we left, but not as much as I would have liked.
So glad you are back. (I read your last post, too.)

Mari said...

Your garden looks wonderful! I think the plant is exactly what it looks like - chinese lanterns.

It Feels Like Chaos said...

I don't know what that plant is, but it sure is cool looking! Your garden is wonderful!!! We have kinda let our garden go this year, which makes me a little sad, but I have been able to harvest a lot of basil to make pesto and a few black-eyed peas.

Homeazillion said...

I love your garden, in fact I'm a tad jealous but I know that you always had a huge garden growing up. I planted tomatoes, squash, zuchini, jalapenos, and watermelon. Our summer season is about over, so I am going to try my hand at fall gardening in Texas. Stop by and see it sometime at www.thehomemakersways.blogspot.com, click on the garden link.

Cheryl