Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mystery Lizard

lizzard 1

I rescued this little lizard from my cat the other day and put him in an ice cream pail to show the boys.  When my little guy reached in to pick him up, the ungrateful reptile whipped around and tried to bite him, mouth open wide.  Crazy thing!  Here’s a better picture of him.

lizzard

He was probably about 7 or 8 inches long (before his tail split off).  He looked like a garter snake with legs and his little toes were very sticky.  In grass, he slithered the same way a snake would and was quick to tunnel beneath the thatch. 

When we let him go, he scrambled over the edge of the log, down and around it’s circumference, and straight into a hole he found in the wood.  He was one fast lizard!!!

I spent some time trying to identify him, but came up with nothing.  Anyone know what kind he was?  I’d love to know!

4 comments:

Susie said...

How cool is he?? :) We think it's a 5-lined skink. Not sure, but here's a link that talks about one. http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/five-lined_skink.htm

It Feels Like Chaos said...

You are such an awesome boy mom! Even with my having 2 boys, and knowing they'd think that lizard was super cool, it is way too snake-like for me, I don't think I would have rescued that creature! If it slithers I keep my distance! Really I can barely make it through the reptile house at the zoo my boys love so much and those creatures are all behind thick glass!

Mari said...

I have no idea what kind he is but he's cute - even though he tried to bite you. :)

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh man! That smarty pants Susie had her hand up FIRST and stole my thunder!!!!

It is, it is, it IS a five-lined skink.

Here's MY link, I'm sure it's better than hers. (hehehehe0

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/five-lined_skink.htm

I just didn't know there were skinks in Indiana - - - you ARE in Indiana, right?