Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Family Update

As we enjoy the last of the fall color show, the holidays are gearing up backstage!   I don’t know who I was kidding to think that after the fall rush, things would naturally calm down!  Lol!  That was a dumb thought!fall colors

Things never naturally slow down—especially at this time of year.  We barely get to put down the rake before we’re swept away by the holiday train.  We start making lists, searching sale ads, and filling up the calendar. 

If we don’t intentionally set those things aside, Thanksgiving gets lost in the shuffle.

So that’s what I want to do today.  I want to intentionally stop.  To take a breath.  And to just give thanks for the fall we’ve had!  That, and set the stage for this month of Thanksgiving. 

Things I am thankful for:

  • It’s been one of the most beautiful falls we’ve ever had.  The weather has been warm and the colors have been beautiful!
  • All three boys enjoyed a great soccer season!  Each of them grew  in their skills and their game.  We’re proud of their hard work.
  • The garden produced well!  We now have plenty of salsa, zucchini, and peppers that will be wonderful to use over the winter!
  • We’ve been blessed by the fellowship of a new small group.  Our study has been on “community” and how important relationships are to each of us in our daily walk.
  • The older boys have enjoyed our church’s new youth group format.  I’m thankful they are developing some great friends!
  • My little guy is enjoying school and he is well on his way to becoming a great reader!  I just LOVE sitting down with him to read and having him tell me, “YOU be quiet.  I want to do it.”  Lol!
  • And finally, I’m thankful that, in the midst of an uncertain economy, and an uncertain job market, my husband still has a job.  There have been times where we have felt an uncomfortable amount of uncertainty.  I think it’s God’s way of keeping us close to Him and seeking His direction! 

What are you thankful for?  What has God been doing in your life this fall?

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;

his love endures forever.

Psalm 107:1

3 comments:

Mari said...

That is a beautiful tree! You're right, there is so much to be thankful for!

Christine said...

It has been a beautiful fall, hasn't it?
These days I am thankful for my children's teachers and coaches, who give so much of themselves to help my children become better people. I am thankful for my dear husband, who is always happy to help me when I'm not feeling my best, and I don't even need to ask. I am thankful for the friends who have become family, as our actual relatives live far away.
Have a great day!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I've missed you my friend. It's good to stop and think about what we are truly thankful for.
I would like to get my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving so I can truly enjoy the holidays!
Loved catching up with you.
Have a lovely day.
Kim