Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Something For Me

Just before Thanksgiving, a friend and I joined our local Curves .  Since then, it has been a lot of fun working out together. 

Maybe too much fun.  I’ve gained 9 pounds since joining!  Granted, we’ve had the holiday-treat-fest.  But perhaps we should talk less and focus more…?  New CurvesBeing a full time mom has been wonderfully rewarding.  But with my youngest now in kindergarten, I find I have time to reflect on where I am.

For the most part, I’m pretty happy with my life.  But I would lovelovelove to be in better shape.  Not to mention breathe in my jeans.  And have arms that don’t flap in the wind when I hang them out car window! 

I considered joining Curves before, but never followed through.  So when my dear-friend-who’s-always-looking-out-for-me suggested we join together, it was just the nudge I needed.  

The ladies at our Curves branch are wonderful.  They range in age from 19 to 89.  And seriously?  They’re amazing!  Not to mention a riot!

Although I’m starting at the bottom of the proverbial fitness scale, it is a step in the right direction.  And we all have to start somewhere.  Plus, it’s something I’m doing for my family.

Too often we moms fall into the caregiver roll and fail take care of ourselves.  However, if we want to be around to give care when we’re older, we have to take better care of ourselves today. 

My friend’s encouragement got me started, and I’m paying it forward with a little nudge to you.  Don’t put it off any longer!

  • See what’s available in your area --YMCA, Curves, etc.
  • Check with your insurance provider.  If you are lucky, perhaps they’ll cover some or all of the membership fees. My insurance pays for everything!
  • Then, go see the place.  Half the battle is actually working up the nerve to investigate.

Once I visited, saw the simple machines, and watched all those women chatting and having fun, my fears just fell away.  “I can do this!”  I thought.

And so can you!

If joining a fitness place isn’t for you, than choose something else. 

Walking is always good.  Grab a friend or your husband or your kids and start walking.  If bad weather is a problem, find a mall. 

But don’t wait. 

Putting exercise in your routine now will help you stay active later

If you don’t want to do it for you, do it for your family

What do you do to stay active?  Share your ideas!  We moms need all the encouragement and ideas we can get!

No comments: