Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Preparation And Prayer

P8180050

This was the first day of school six years ago.  Back then, I had a first grader, a kindergartener, and a two-week-old little baby.  I can’t believe how time has flown, and how much these boys have changed.

Now we have a seventh grader, a sixth grader, and a kindergartener!

In preparation for the first day of school this year (today),  each school held Open House last night.

*  *  * 

We went to the elementary school first.

Our little guy spent a minute and a half walking around his kindergarten room.  He looked things over, said hi to his teacher, and he was good to go.  Literally. 

He’ll do fine.

His first day, btw, is Wednesday (because he is on a Mon-Wed-Friday schedule).  Pray for me.  I’m the one who’ll need it.  :)

*  *  * 

The middle school’s open house was next. 

My oldest son didn’t really need to go.  He’s comfortable with the school and his schedule.

We went for my middle school son, who starts sixth grade.

To help him feel more prepared, we marked a map of the building with all his classes and where his locker will be and tucked it in  his notebook. 

The plan was for him to practice opening his locker, and then use the map to walk through his schedule and meet his teachers. 

By the time we reached his third period class, I knew we were in trouble. 

He reminded me of my husband on a trip.  He would glance (for two seconds) at his map, tuck it under his arm, and then book it down the hall.  His motto seemed to be, keep moving at all times and only look at the map when all else fails.  Or your mom makes you.

It was all I could do to keep him in sight among the throngs of families crowding the halls.  Back and forth he would go, “No, it’s this way…”  Or…”Oh, I know, it must be over here…” 

It was excruciating to watch.

I could tell he was feeling stressed, and that was making it even harder.

We ended up being one of the very last families to finish up.  And do you know what he wanted to do then?  Do it again!  Oh my goodness.

We didn’t though.  There just wasn’t time. 

Instead, we went out for ice cream.  :)

And I prayed a lot last night for God to calm his spirit and give him a peace.

*  *  * 

Before he went out the door for the bus this morning, he gave me a hug and whispered, “Pray for me, Mom?  All day?”

Absolutely. 

Preparation is good.  Necessary, even.  But sometimes it all comes down to prayer.  And that isn’t a bad thing. 

3 comments:

Penny said...

Praying for your new middle schooler. Can't wait to hear how the first day went!

Mari said...

Isn't it amazing how fast time goes? I love that your son asked you to pray for him. I know you did. I'm a little late - he should be home by now - else I would have prayed for him too!

Unknown said...

They do grow so very fast. If you blink you'll miss it, lol. You'll do fine mama, you won't know what to do with yourself for the first few days, but you'll fall into a schedule. :)