Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yes, They Do!

Yesterday, I watched Wii’s on EBay while consuming large quantities of chocolate.  (Yes. I have stress issues.)

Ignoring all the things I should have been doing, I sat on the proverbial fence and prayed over questions like: 

  • Can we afford it? 
  • Would it be better to buy it from a retailer and get less, or in an auction and get more? 
  • Is the risk in auctions worth the money saved? 
  • Will having a Wii in the living room make it harder for my boys to focus on their responsibilities?  (O.K., dumb question.)
  • And, where did I stash the rest of that Halloween candy?

With just minutes left in a tempting auction, I hovered indecisively over the bid button.  I even called a friend for moral support.  Then, just like that, I suddenly lost my connection.  Door closed.  The deal slipped away and I gave up the search for the day. 

But I continued to give thought to the whole Wii-thing-for-Christmas idea. 

  • I think we can afford it. 
  • And I’m not sure there is a right or wrong answer about retail or auction.
  • I found the chocolate. 
  • But, how will I help the boys be responsible with their play time?

Then God spoke.  Well, maybe it wasn’t actually God.  But it was as clear to me as the closed door on the auction. 

My oldest son and I were listening to the morning news on the radio and tying our shoes in the living room when this story made us stop and look at each other.

Maybe you heard it, because I think it was on the national part of the news.

A teenager made a call to 911 but then had the good sense to hang up when the dispatcher came on.  The police followed up on the call and when they questioned the boy, he asked, “Do my parents have the right to take my video games away?”

The officer replied, “Yes, they do.”

The look on my son’s face was priceless, and I could almost hear God say, “duh” in my ear.  Lol!

I’m watching some auctions again, knowing that there is plenty of room in my gun safe for all the Wii motes we might own.   

Thank you, Lord, for obvious answers and a good sense of humor!

2 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I have to tell you that we love our Wii. We also set a time limit (kitchen timer works great here) as to how long they can play. When they are done they are done.
There are some games that really get them sweating and it's so fun to watch them play, not to mention I love to play myself. Do I recommend the Wii? Yes if you can afford it. My parents bought ours for Christmas last year and they buy the games. So we are pretty spoiled there but it is something that gets used every day so it's worth it.
Did this help? LOL. You know I'd sit there with you eating chocolate encouraging you to bid your little heart out.
Hugs
Kim

the voice of melody said...

It's good that you're at least giving it some thought and not just buying on impulse. Glad you found the chocolate! :)