Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Save With Disposable Diapers!

Herbs

During vacation, I found some wonderful plants I haven’t found around here.

Among them were a couple of citrus scented geraniums, some lemon mint, and some peppermint.  Oh my goodness, do they smell heavenly!  Here you see them after twelve hours of travel, and weeks of neglect following our vacation.  Sad, sad, sad.  Luckily, they can take abuse.

The mints are wonderful in tea, and the geraniums can help to keep mosquitoes away naturally if you put them around your patio.  Or you can pot them and keep them in your kitchen to enjoy! (which is what I chose to do!)    

Potting soil can dry out pretty quickly in an indoor climate.  And the kind I had on hand wasn’t the expensive kind with those fancy water absorbing crystals advertised in more expensive potting mixes.

However, I read somewhere recently that you could pull a clean Transplanting my mintdiaper apart and shake some of the dry moisture beads into the soil as a frugal alternative.  The same material that keeps your baby’s bottom dry swells and gels, retaining precious moisture in your soil.

I thought to myself, that makes sense to me.  So, I decided to give it a try.  I wasn’t exactly sure what I was doing.  So I may have just added fuzz to my pots.  But I think there were little beads in there!  Lol!

My family had a good laugh at my expense.  But hey, what are we mom’s for if not to provide constant entertainment for those who have nothing better to do but watch us?

And now?  My plants are thriving in their new homes!  And after three days, the soil is still damp. 

potted plantsWe’ll see if the tip on diaper matter continues to work for me as time goes on!  If you’ve ever heard of this, or tried it, I’d love to hear about your experience.

Check out all the other tips over at We Are That Family!  And share one of your own with us!

3 comments:

Allison said...

What a great idea! I never would have thought of that, but it makes perfect sense! I'll have to give it a try ~ thanks for sharing!

Krisi said...

I have heard this before. Good to know it seems to be working. You can buy vermiculite at the nursery and it does the same thing, but the bags are pretty big and you don't need that much so you may have found the cheapest way to do it!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Just had a few minutes to visit some of my blog friends tonight...Enjoyed your post ....We have had an eventful summer...and my blog time has been little...always enjoy my visit to your blog. Your blog header is wonderful.

Teresa