Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summer Fun Boredom Busters Works For Me Wednesdays

With three boys, the fastest way to send an exciting thrill up the spine of my children is to spot a critter.  This horrid creature began spinning a web on our kitchen window as we finished up dinner tonight.  Great entertainment, eh?Spider WebbingAnd these little guys, which appear by the thousands in our yard, are a favorite early summer catch.  They are little tree frogs, the kind that will jump and stick to your arm as you try to catch them.  I kid you not. What boy can resist filling his own container?? (or tossing them at his mother!)  These little bug containers from Walmart need to be emptied daily around here!Tree frogsOr, how about having a wet and sloppy game of Sponge Ball Dodge Ball? The pool sponge balls work well!  You can get bunches from the Dollar Tree or Walmart.Sponge DodgeballOf course we also love the Library.  Besides encouraging the kids to dive into their own books, we enjoy listening to audio books together.  The Chronicles of Narnia by Focus on the Family are VERY well done.  And we recently picked up the first book of A Series Of Unfortunate Events which were recommended by our librarian.  We can’t wait to start it!

We love bike-riding, and making fun signs to post around our circular driveway.  You know, STOP, RIGHT TURN ONLY, RR CROSSING, and SPEED BUMP AHEAD.  Last year, we made our own gas pump out of an overturned Lego tub and a piece of old hose. 

We are lucky enough to have super nice neighbors who invite us to swim in their pool.  But visiting the community pool, or throwing the Slip and Slide down is a close second. Home Made Snow conesOn especially hot days, we like to make our own snow cones!  I’ve posted my favorite syrup recipe here.   If you are interested, Walmart sells several different snow cone machines.  Snow cones are a BIG hit for all the neighborhood kids!!  Does anything say summer bliss more than this?  I LOVE this picture!Home Made Snow cones 2Of course, there’s having a hose war washing a car, which I posted about recently.Memorial Day Car wash

But for rainy days, Lego contests rock!  The boys like to see who can build the slickest speeder, baddest Bionicle, coolest car, or most radical racer.  It helps that we have tubs and tubs of Lego's!

Balls of all sizes

And when they are really making me climb the wall, I grab a ball of any size and make up a game!!

Don’t forget to check out all the other summer fun ideas over at Works For Me Wednesday hosted by We Are That Family!

8 comments:

6intow said...

So many great ideas that had slipped my mind. I'm definitely going to have to remember to hunt down more bugs. We have some budding entomologists that will never be bored with that idea.

Thanks!
Erin

Anonymous said...

My kids love the Series of Unfortunate Events books. I'm going to have to make a Dollar Tree run so we can play dodge ball. Thanks for the idea!

Emily said...

I can't wait until my kids are old enough to get more into this stuff! Thanks for the suggestions.
On my blog today I posted a list of great reads for kids. I compiled these through experience--my mom read to my sis and me every day when I was growing up, and I was an elementary school teacher. Hope that adds to your summer book list!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Love the ideas! Sponge ball dodge ball is one we haven't tried but I know my oldest would love!! We had a spider that lived in a web in a corner of the swing set for a month. The kids named her and loved running out to visit and watch her several times each day!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Those are great ideas and great pictures too! Thanks for stopping by my blog! We live in NW Indiana, almost to Michigan, so we may not get down to South Central Indiana, but thanks for the cave suggestion.
~Liz

Anonymous said...

We have two frogs which have taken up residence in two bird houses on our front porch. The same thing happened last year, although I'm not convinced they are the same frogs.

Thanks for the Lego reminder. It rains nearly every afternoon here (Central Florida) and it's a great activity. Much cleaner than moon sand or playdoh.

sunnymama said...

Lots of great ideas! I love the first picture of the spider on your kitchen window. Sunnyboy loves looking at critters too :)

Kathy said...

These are great ideas: This is what we need after our school days here at the hacienda! I'm using them!