Friday, August 22, 2008

Make Your Own Snow Cones and Syrup

I recently came across this bargain at Good Will. It was only $2.50 and although it was a Pampered Chef item, I still had my doubts about whether it would work well or not.

But it works wonderfully! It came with one little tub for making a round block of ice. But I use butter tubs to make and freeze lots of extra blocks. That size container just so happens to make blocks that fit perfectly. For large gatherings of kids, having extra ice comes in handy. Some days I go through 4 or 5 blocks!

I've also discovered several great snow cone syrup recipes out there. This one is the one I use the most, but a search on Google will net you lots of them.

Snow Cone Syrup
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4-1 Cup water (the recipe actually calls for 3/4 Cup, but I find that the syrup is too thick to pour)
  • 1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid, any flavor.
Place the sugar and water in the pan and bring it to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in the Kool-Aid. Cool to room temperature and place in the fridge until chilled. Pour over crushed ice. Store in fridge.
My kids (and the Neighborhood Troops) LOVE this treat! And it is so easy and inexpensive to make. I've noticed that Wal-Mart carries snow cone makers in season, as well. So, although you might not find the bargain I did at Good Will, they aren't too expensive in regular stores to buy new. This is one summer time treat that I'm sure I'll be making for many summers!

No comments: