Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Powerful Display

Lightning Strike 1

Recently, the boys and I were home alone for a wicked thunderstorm.  We froze in place when a simultaneous flash and  BOOM rocked our house.  Literally.  The windows rattled and the floor shook. 

Then we all moved away from the windows!

A few days later, the boys discovered  where the lightening had struck.

I could hardly believe it.

This tree is about 50-75 yards behind our house in the hedge row.  The force must have been incredible that night. 

I took the first picture about 25 feet from the tree, and then turned around to take the next one.  What is hard to see from the second, is that some of the pieces which exploded from the tree are the size of TWO-by-FOURS!

Lightning Strike 3The piece leaning against the evergreen (the vertical piece) was about 7-8 feet long…and just shy of FOUR-by-FOUR size.  And there were even some farther out, which this picture does not show.  YIKES!

I’m so thankful that no one was hurt, and that it didn’t strike the house. 

When a storm is threatening, the boys no longer dilly dally when I say it’s time to come inside.  The first-hand look at what lightening can do has made a serious impression on them (and me!). 

And, to think, our God is more powerful than that…WOW!  In Job, it says:

How great is God—beyond our understanding!

The number of his years is past finding out.

He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams:

the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind.

Who can understand how he spreads out the clouds, how he thunders from his pavilion?

See how he scatters his lightning about him,

bathing the depths of the sea.

This is the way he governs the nations and provides food in abundance.

 

He fills his hands with lightning and commands it to strike its mark.

His thunder announces the coming storm;

even the cattle make known  its approach.

At this my heart pounds and leaps from its place.

Listen! Listen to the roar of his voice,

to the rumbling that comes from his mouth.

He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth.

Job 36:26 through 37:3

How Awesome is our God!

This post is  linked to Thankful Thursday, and Thousand Words Thursday.

17 comments:

Mari said...

Wow! That was quite a hit. I'm glad no one was hurt too.

Suburban Hooker said...

Wow, I'm glad no one was hurt!!

Denise said...

Praise God that no one was hurt.

Keetha Broyles said...

I believe lightning is 30,000 degrees Celsius. That's HOT. It is a VERY dangerous foe.

I'm glad you are all safe.

Wonder if that was the night I blogged about the wind, hail, and scary stuff????

Keetha Broyles said...

I just googled - - - not only is a lightning bolt 30,000 degrees celsius, (58,000 degrees F) it packs a whallop of about 1 billion volts of electricity.

That's MEGA raw power.

MEGA.

I didn't know this little lightning fact until recently - - - it can travel up, down OR SIDEWAYS (that was the new part - - - the sideways part) It can travel sideways about 50 miles. SO when you see lightning IN THE DISTANCE - - - GET TO A SAFE PLACE.

Now - - - back to your regularly scheduled, NONSCIENCE show - - -

Hehehehehehehe

Raise Them Up said...

Oh my word, Keetha! You rock! My boys will find your facts so totally cool. (Hopefully a little tiny bit scary, too)

Thanks a bunch for looking that stuff up!

Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate said...

Wow that was some storm. It is amazing to see first hand the power of nature. We had an F-1 tornado hit here a few months back, and it was amazing to see it's furry and power!
What cool pictures!

Joyeful said...

Just like everyone else, I'm glad no one got hurt!! And I love those verses in Job--it reminds us how POWERFUL and MIGHTY our God is and He never ceases to amaze me!!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

So glad God protected you and your house! Scary what lightning can do!

Thanks for leaving me the link to your bee post. I enjoyed reading about your bee adventure and marveled at how God used that situation to lead you guys to a church home -- so cool!

Rita T. said...

Amazing!

LAURIE said...

How incredibly awesome that in our times of storm God is our shelter! Thank you for sharing your grateful heart with us and I am glad that you and your family weathered the storm safely! Happy TT - Laurie

Bonnie said...

Wow, wow & wow!!!!! Praise God indeed that it didn't hit the house and no one was hurt. Have to feel a bit of pity for that tree, though... Thank you for stopping by my blog today! I'm glad you came to visit. :) Blessings!

Unknown said...

Wow! I bet that really did make quite the impression on them. How scary that it was so close to home. I'm glad you guys were inside safe and sound.

Tracey said...

Pretty amazing! I'm sure it was a neat thing to see for the boys!

Laurie Ann said...

Oh my stars!!!!!!!! I'm so glad that God kept ya'll safe. The tremendous power of storms amaze me (and frighten me.)

4 Lettre Words said...

Wow...we have some really crazy storms here in GA, so I know your kind of Praise! :o)

P.S. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!

Christina said...

Wow! I don't think I can say anything other than "amazing!".