Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mission Accomplished

Blue Bird VisitYesterday, we had a visitor come down our chimney, and it wasn’t Santa.

My little guy and I have become quite practiced at getting wayward  birds back into the great outdoors. 

Blue Birds, especially, are frequent chimney guests at our house in the spring.  I guess they are exploring nesting locations and can’t get back up the narrow pipe.  He’s fluttering against the glass stove door in the above picture.

Our Bird Rescue Plan

My son (who is usually beside himself with excitement) closes all the curtains and doors to the rest of the house, while I darken all the lights.  If I can’t nab a bird, and it escapes the firebox, it generally flies towards the only source of light—the open front door.

Oh, we also feed the cats on the front porch, to keep them occupied.  We’ve had some near CATastrophes on these missions that probably shouldn’t be detailed.

This was one of those times the bird got away from me.  (Drat!)

He fluttered against the ceiling before finally getting lodged behind the microwave, then flying off again.

A Bird In HandAfter ten minutes of trying to corral him towards the open door, he finally landed between the pillows on my window seat.   

I guess he had exhausted himself, because I was able to creep up and nab him.

On the way to the door, my little guy begged to take a picture, and although I had reservations (remember he is four), I said O.K.

That was pretty interesting, actually.  He’s never touched the camera before and  so I had to coach him through how to hold and it, and which buttons to push, etc .  All the while trying to hold on to the squirming, chirping, CAT-attracting little bird.

After several pictures of my elbow, and one of my knee, he captured the picture above.  Not bad!!  Maybe he’ll be a professional photographer one day!My Chief Editor

Once the bird flew into the wild blue yonder, my little guy settled into his favorite Editor-In-Chief perch.  On my shoulders.  And we loaded his pictures.

I’m thinking I should list him as a team member on my blogger profile! 

If you are interested in other Creature related posts, or you want to play along, visit Camera Critters!

Have a Wonderful Weekend!!

9 comments:

Anna said...

I loved this. What an adventure! Your little guy did a great job getting the picture.

Sandy Kessler said...

I haven't seen one in probably 30 year s and enjoyed this so much Sandy

Mari said...

What an adventure! I like the picture of you holding hte bird!

Anonymous said...

That's is really great for a first time picture! Well done!

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm really loving the last part where you show him perched on your shoulders editing!!! Toooooo cute.

Here's another bird catching technique to try (they get in my classroom, so I too have had a few experiences) Toss a thin towel or blanket over them when they land someplace. You can then easily scoop them up and take them outside for the big release, AWAY from those lurking porch kitties.

Raise Them Up said...

Keetha, that's a great idea!! I'm having one of those duh moments!

Christina said...

Sounds like you have bird catching down to a science. I'll have to keep some of those things in mind...I've been hearing alarming thumpings and scratchings coming from our chimney and might end up with feathered visitors one of these days. And what a fun experience coaching your little guy on photography. ; )

Corey~living and loving said...

cute story. :) your son did a great job with the camera. :)

happy CC!

Dianne said...

I love that you and your son are so well prepared and take such care to free the birds
great story and photos!