Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Label Now For Transplanting Later

Label your Irises

I have quite a few clumps of Irises which need to be divided and transplanted after they ‘re done blooming.  The only problem is, once they are done blooming, I quickly forget which clusters are what color.

On Sunday, I picked up a book at the library which is full of great gardening tips.

One tip said to take a sharpie and write the color of the iris on one of its leaves to help you remember which are which later.  (Duh!  Why didn’t think of that??)  The author said the writing would last just long enough to still be visible when you are ready to transplant.  LOVE that!

I immediately took my sharpie on a walk and gave my neighbors something new to chuckle over.

The book is called 1,001 Gardening Secrets The Experts Never Tell You, by Gayle K. Wood.  Great book!

For more great WFMW tips, visit We Are That Family!

9 comments:

Mari said...

That's a really great idea!

Kirsty said...

Brilliant! Thank you :) Now I need to remember to actually divide all my hostas sometime.

Keetha Broyles said...

Really cool idea!!!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

OMG, I am in love with your header!!!!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

I never would of thought of that--great idea!

Buffie said...

That is such a great idea. I love it and will definitely be making use of it.

Unknown said...

What a great tip! I'll be using that one!

annies home said...

great idea I will share this with my mom as it will definetly help her

steadymom said...

Great idea!

Jamie