Monday, April 13, 2009

Do You Know a Good Babysitter?

Knowing my husband would be leaving for Germany tomorrow, and seeing that rain was predicted today, we tackled outside jobs over the weekend.

It’s a good thing too, since the forecast was right.

Pretty Rain One of the jobs my husband tackled was tilling the garden.  We are making it larger this year, and we picked out a new spot which gets more light. 

Still, a few trees needed to come down.

New Garden Patch

You can see one of the large stumps directly behind the top of the left front evergreen on the other side of our driveway.  You can see the garden right in the middle.  The rain is making quite a pond out of the right side of it.  I’ll need to keep that in mind when I plant.

While helping to drag limbs and clean up the felled trees last night, I got several little splinters.  I found another this morning just before I took the boys down to the bus stop.  So I sat down to my desk, turned on my magnifier/light, and removed it real quick.

When I got home and sat back down at my desk, I thought, “What smells hot?”

It wasn’t until I noticed the light still on, that I realized what had happened.  In one of my many smooth moves, I not only forgot to turn off the light, I swung it back over towards the wall and it sank into my new monitor—LITERALLY!!!

HOT bulb

I know the bulb gets hot, but Good Gravy!  I consider myself blessed that I caught it when I did!  My four-year-old exclaimed, “Howey Cow, Mom!  It made a hoew up dere!”

As I contemplated the event, three thoughts crossed my mind.

  1. Guess there’s no chance this won’t be broadcast to whoever will listen for a few days.
  2. I wonder if I’ll be able to keep from burning the house down while my husband is away?  (Maybe he should hire a babysitter!  Lol!)
  3. I wonder how I’m going to clean that gunk off the bulb?

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Bummer about your "melt down"

You are RIGHT about the rain today. We had a WATERFALL pouring down right over the front door of our school ALL DAY.

Cold too.

Brrrrrr - - - I think Spring sprang for a while.

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Oh no! So glad you caught it before anything worse happened! I pray for your time while your husband is away. I know how hard it is when you are the only parent all day and all night. I don't know how single parents do it all the time!

Kimberly said...

Yikes!!!