Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Is Moooving In!

Monday, we had the joy of seeing this new little guy just hours after he was born. Isn't he just the cutest thing?

This is the first of three new calves expected at our neighbor's place, just a short walk down the road. Although it was old hat for my older boys, to my youngest, it was amazing. We've taken several walks down since then.

Our neighbors promised to call when the next calf is born.

It reminds me of the calves we used to raise when I was little. We would go pick out three little calves at a time and bringing them home to our barn.

For a while, we would bucket feed them formula.

I can still smell the bucket of milk we would mix up in our laundry room to take out to the barn. It was fun to let them suck on a finger, or toe if it was sticking too far over the rail!

We raised them for beef, though I don't think I made the connection. If I had, I probably wouldn't have grown up liking beef!

My husband would love to raise a steer or two for beef. We have the land to support it, but I'm not totally on board yet. I think it would be tougher to trick myself now about where my roast comes from...

But the calf is darling! It almost makes me want to take him home. Almost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are pretty cute when they are born. My son has a cowlick and to this day... he knows the exact cow that gave it to him!! :)

Yes, spring is coming!! WOO HOO!

Mari said...

He is cute! I grew up on a farm, knowing where the milk came from, but not connecting the cows to the beef. Good thing!