Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Praying Mantis

Chances are, we've all seen this graceful carnivore at one time or another. It not only gets its name from its two front arms, which are bent in a position suggesting prayer, it also uses them to catch prey. But did you know that this is the only insect that can move its head in all directions?? Look closely the next time you see one!


On a recent trek through the yard, the boys and I discovered something else about them that I never knew. They leave behind exoskeletons just like the
locusts do! We took a picture of one they spotted and since then, have found another. I honestly had never seen one of these before, and I guess it's no wonder. They are incredibly fragile and I imagine they don't stay intact for very long. How cool!


No comments: