Thursday, September 11, 2008

Introduction to Camping Thread

Well, this morning, my youngest and I rode down with some friends to a nearby campground to help them set up their pop-ups for a weekend of camping. It rained the entire time we were setting up and it promises to rain lots more this weekend. The last I heard, the forecast is for 3-5 inches of rain. My friends, however were undaunted. Now, that is camping dedication!


We sometimes go with them, but not this time. You see, we have a tent, and a whole weekend of rain pretty much zaps the appeal for me! We are, however, planning a camping trip over fall break with these friends.


But, this morning's excursion did get me to thinking. Camping is one of those frugal vacation ideas that can be absolutely wonderful for families. I am by no means an expert, and I have tons to learn, but my friends have taught me a few tricks that make doing the mom jobs in the camp a little easier. Let's face it, camping appeal drops very quickly when you think of all the extra work you have to do, especially if you don't know what you are going to do with little ones while you do it. After all, there is only one mom, and everyone still needs to eat and clean up, and find this, and find that, and go to the bath house. . .


So, I'm going to start a new topic thread on Camping With Families. In this line of posts, I'll share what has worked for us, as well as what I wish I knew how to do better. I'll be tapping my friends (whom I consider pros) for their ideas as well. In the mean time, be thinking about your own camping experiences and what has worked for your family.

No comments: