Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fixed . . . For the Moment

We took things apart and put them back together again last night, and determined that the door has no obvious way to be adjusted. All we succeeded in doing was making it harder to open and close.

My thoughts were, if it can't be fixed, maybe we could take the door off and simply hang a shower curtain from the bar above. But before I had my husband do that, I wanted to try one more thing.

Today, I tried again one of the things we gave up on last night. I pulled up on the door exposing a small gap in the jam where there were several small disc spacers. There looked to be about 2 or 3 millimeters. I then set about looking for something that could take the pressure of the heavy door, and yet be small enough to add to that space.

What I came up with was a plug cap. I cut the very ends off each post, which are rounded on the tip, and cut them once again to fit the width of the tiny space. I then lifted the door with a wedge and slid the new spacers into the gap. The door now swings open and closed at the touch of a finger. The only noise is the soft click of the magnetic strip! Yeaaaaah!!

I know this won't last forever, but I'll take what I can get. I would still like to know if there is a correct way to adjust this door that will fix it permanently.


No comments: