Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Full-Fledged Denial

I didn’t announce it on Face Book.

I didn’t text my friends or tweet a tweet.

I didn’t even take a picture to put in a scrapbook.

The only person we called was my mom.  And sadly, she let me down with a totally inappropriate response.  I let my son do the calling, but I could hear her excited voice just as plain as day.

My oldest son got his learner’s permit last night.  He passed his test, they took a picture, and I paid the fee.  End of story.

Most of me wants to relegate it as a nonevent.  Because if it’s no big deal, I can go on thinking my first baby boy isn’t changing as fast as he is. 

He’s not growing facial hair and texting girls non-stop.

He’s not getting serious about what college to attend.

And most importantly, he’s not going to be sitting in a seat surrounded by 2000 pounds of certain death if he doesn’t pay attention.

I’ll be ok.  I know I can’t stop the clock.  And I’m as proud as can be of the young man he is becoming.  I just need a moment (or ten) to dig my way out of this pile of denial.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Congrats to him, yikes for you! I remember that feeling well.

Christine said...

I'm right there with you. We were waiting for soccer season to end for my oldest to get his permit. Looks like next week will be the week.

Oh, and he and his dad went on a college visit to Purdue yesterday. Ugh.

Congrats to your son, though. I'll keep an eye out for him when I drive. :)