Monday, January 28, 2013

More Waiting

Waiting seems to be what we do the most these days.  Dad’s appointment with the surgeon yielded more waiting.  The surgeon ordered a PET scan to determine whether the cancer has spread through his esophagus wall and into the adjacent lymph nodes.  There are, apparently, indications that it has.  Please pray it hasn’t!

Waiting is hard.  We want to get busy fighting it.  Yet it doesn’t change the coming treatment plan.  Or the fact that God is still in control. 

Dad will undergo 49 rounds of chemo, followed by radiation, followed by a full day of surgery where doctors will remove his esophagus.  If all goes according to plan, the surgery will take place this summer some time.

Thank you so much, friends, for holding us up in prayer.  Sometimes I’m able to leave it at Jesus’ feet.  And other times I feel as though I’m going to suffocate. 

Of all things, standing in church and singing of God’s faithfulness is the hardest for me to do these days.  No matter how much I try to brace myself, the walls come tumbling down.  And so do the tears.  Not because I doubt God’s care.  But because I feel it so deeply.  Does that make sense?

And you are part of that care.  Your words of encouragement are such a blessing!

*  *  *

As for the giveaway of the book, Etched…Upon My Heart, by Jill Kelly, the winner is Penny.  :)  My youngest son picked numbers from a hat the no-frills-way.  Congratulations, Penny!  I hope you find it as encouraging as I have.

5 comments:

Christine said...

I am so sorry you all have to endure this. I had to "watch" my mom go through the chemo and radiation nightmare from afar as well. Our prayers are with you all. I pray comfort and peace come to you all.

Mari said...

I've been wondering how the appt went. Will keep praying for good results and peace as you deal with this. I have the same trouble during singing and worship - if something is going on, it's the time I'm going to break down. I think opening ourselves up to God is what does it!

Penny said...

Thanks for the update. I'm excited to read the book. :)

Wanted to tell you what we were told when we were in that "waiting, but want to get FIGHTING" period. With most cancers you have about three months from diagnosis before the prognosis will change. Therefore, it's worth taking the time to run the tests to determine the best course of action. Can't say it gets much easier, but it was some comfort. Praying for you!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Such a difficult time my friend. And I do know what you mean. Sending up some prayers.
OXOX,
Kim

Embracing the Insanity said...

Praying for you right now although we have never met. I live in Philly, and I spent my junior high - college years in Warsaw/Winona Lake, Indiana area, so I feel some connection there. I have never gone through what you are facing, but it is so encouraging to hear your testimony of God's faithfulness in the midst of your time of trial. Blessings!!