Monday, April 19, 2010

Who Would Have Thought A Volcano Would Be Among My Worries This Week?

My husband is still in Netherlands, a country directly affected by the volcanic ash cloud.  His scheduled flight home Sunday morning is very much a question mark.

With canceled flights and missing team-mates, he is picking up more responsibility to keep the project on schedule.  So he doesn’t have much free time to worry about Sunday. 

Unfortunately, however, I have plenty of time for that. 

I want him home.  But I don’t want him on a plane flying through that ash cloud.           

This morning, I heard a seismologist in Iceland indicate concern that current conditions could be leading up to an eruption of the larger volcano on Iceland.  Obviously, that wouldn’t be good.

Anyhow, we’re taking the waiting and watching one day at a time and praying God works out the details. 

That said, let me update you on our week here.

Kindergarten registration went well.  My little guy joined all the other kids for a classroom visit and seemed to enjoy it.  And I didn’t cry as I saw him in the line being led out. 

Later, when I asked him if he made any friends, he shook his head.  “No, I didn’t talk to anybody.  I just watched.” 

Kindergarten Registration Night

I let him play on the school playground afterwards and he wanted me to send this picture to his Daddy. :)  No doubt this playground had a lot to do with his wanting to go back to school the next day…Lol!

We froze through two very cold soccer games this weekend.  And sadly lost both.  The second game was a closer match, though. 

On the way home, I got in trouble.  My oldest told me to stop yelling “Watch off sides!” when he is offsides.  Apparently, it was my fault the ref caught him off sides so many times. 

“Mom, every time you warned me, he looked.” 

“I was only trying to help you pay attention to your position.  Did you not want me to warn you?”

“You can yell.  But don’t yell, ’off sides!’  Use a code word or something.”

“Like…?”

“Like, ‘Boogers and Buns!’

All three boys erupted in laughter, calling out the code words in mock warning. 

Finally, after catching his breath, my middle son said, “No, mom.  Don’t.  Seriously.  If you yell that, I’ll laugh and then I’ll go weak.” 

Um.  Like there was any chance of me yelling that. 

6 comments:

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Praying that you are strengthened during this time that your hubby is away :)

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Praying that you are strengthened during this time that your hubby is away :)

Genny said...

Oh that story is too funny! Kids!

About your husband: I will pray that he can come home soon and safely!

Hugs,
Genny

Mari said...

This volcano is really messing up travel. I sure hope your husband doesn't get held up.
I love the Boogers and buns story!

Cheryl J said...

Praying that your husband comes home safe.

"Boogers and buns" I love it. LOL

Christina said...

Laughing out loud. Oh, wow. That is hilariously funny! Do you sometimes wonder just how their brains come up with the things they say?