Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Upper and Lower Case Alphabet Puzzle by Melissa and Doug

Wouldn’t it be great to find a puzzle that stands up to abuse, and engages the thinking caps of our little ones?  (Wouldn’t it be nice, too, if it kept them busy long enough for us to write a post or use the bathroom?)

One letter puzzle we are having tons of fun with is the wooden Doug and Melissa Upper and Lower Case Alphabet puzzle

It’s definitely sturdy, and it’s great for learning both the upper case and lower case letters.

Melissa and Doug PuzzleWhat’s more, is it can double as a manipulative.  My son likes to take the letters out and make short words.  Like “Mom” and “Dad” and “Cat”, and “Fwrbiqetyp”, etc. Lol!  You could even trace around them.  

The pictures under the letters are colorful and fun.  Most, are easy to identify with the common letter sound.  Though it does use the Xylophone for X (something I wish wasn’t so often used in alphabet pictures).  And the upper case W picture was kind of hard to figure out.  We are saying wagon.  Is that right??  Am I missing something?Melissa and Doug Puzzle 3

Anyway, what can be better than having your little ones learn their letters and sounds…without them even knowing they’re learning?! 

Happy sigh…

Join the fun over at The Diaper Diaries for Things I love Thursday!

7 comments:

Kara said...

I love Melissa and Doug stuff!

Christina said...

Ooooooo. Aaahhhh. What a great puzzle! I'm going to head over to Amazon.com right now and add it to my bigger little guy's wish list!

annies home said...

these are great they teach so many lessons while having hands on fun

Kathy said...

I love almost ALL Melissa and Doug products. They're good in content and quality.

Tracey said...

What a neat puzzle! Glad your kids are having fun with it!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Cool puzzle! We have the uppercase only version but I hadn't seen the upper and lowercase one before!

Honey Mommy said...

My son loves puzzles and he is learning his alphabet! I really need to get him one of these!