Wednesday, September 10, 2008

An Ode to the Hoover Steam Vac

My morning routine took a detour when I discovered that a D cell battery in one of the boys' toys had apparently exploded. It leaked out of the compartment onto the white rug beneath the couch. What made it much worse than it could have been was the fact that the toy bins are slid under there when not in use. So the dark rusty acid was spread over several square feet.


Realizing this was more than a job for my Spot Cop, I called my friend and asked if I could borrow her Hoover Steam Vac. And so began my unexpected cleaning spree. I Moved all the furniture, picked up the play room, vacuumed around the spot and then began to shampoo the carpet. If you've never used one, it is such a cool thing. There's nothing like watching a nasty spot fade away. I had to go over it several times to make sure the acid was thoroughly pulled up, but it made the job SO much easier. The spot which I thought would be permanent is now only barely visible. It makes me sorry I didn't take before and after pictures!


It got me to thinking about the footprints in the hallway, and the juice spills on the kitchen rugs, and the tea spots no one knows anything about.

I'm thinking that a Steam Vac would definitely make a great investment for this household full of boys. Maybe I should ask for one for Christmas!

No comments: