Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday
Christmas In A Jar

These jars are easy to make and can be customized in countless ways! They are especially nice for someone who doesn't have the space for (or energy to set up) a Christmas tree.

I made one for myself years ago when I lived in a small efficiency apartment. But so many people commented on it, that I ended up making a bunch for gifts the next year. You'll need a large mouthed jar of some sort. Big pickle jars work great. You can eat a lot of pickles, or you can stop by an Italian deli. We got lots from a local deli dumpster. Deli Dumpster. Giggle-Snort! I like the sound of that.


You will also need a small string of lights. I use the little 20 count sets from Walmart. Then, you will need some things to put in with them. Look at your leftover Christmas decorations. I cut a garland into small pieces to layer with pine cones and berries. I also made some multi strand bows out of jute and slid them down the sides. I liked the rustic look.


Add some pretty ribbon of some sort, and you could be finished! Mine stayed like the one above for a few years, but I gradually began adding stems of flowers and berry branches to add interest during the day.

Last year, I decided to do a Snowman Jar for the boys' play room. He turned out pretty well. In the bottom, I layered the small light set with glass floral beads and miniature silver Christmas balls from the dollar tree. The snowman is an ornament from our tree.

I usually just let the wire for the lights run up the inside back of the jar and then under the ribbon and down.


Making unique Christmas gifts and decorations is so much fun, and people just love these things! What they don't know about where the jar came from can't hurt them. . .


Don't forget to swing back over to Rocks in My Dryer to see more of Works For Me Wednesday.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! What a lovely idea. :)

CC said...

That is such a cool look!!!!!!

Christina said...

Wow! I love them!

Lynn said...

This is really beautiful! I might be a little too decorating-challenged to make one this nice, but I think they could make great gifts for elderly aunts, etc. who have had to downsize and now live in small apartments. Thanks for sharing the neat idea.

Tara said...

I love this idea! My MIL makes these and puts christmas potpourri in the jar. The lights warm it up and it smells GREAT!

Land of Lovings said...

I LOVE that idea! I am definitely going to be trying that this weekend!

Anonymous said...

The jars are beautiful and so simple to make. I think one would be perfect for my hall as it's looking a little barren compared to the rest of the house.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that your ideas always draw me in? I guess it means you're talented, darn it :) These are so pretty!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Those are beautiful! I have several jars, too. Thanks for sharing this idea! :D

Amanda American Girl said...

very nice

Raise Them Up said...

Tara, Potpourri is a great idea! I never thought of that! I can picture a Victorian theme with lace and pink roses for a year round jar.

Aspiring Mom2three said...

What a neat idea! I have plenty of canning jars around the house - now if I can just get hubby to get the Christmas decorations out of the attic!

Angela said...

This is an excellent, excellent idea. I have a friend who has had to move back into her childhood bedroom at her parents (financial reasons) and can't really do much for Christmas. We offered to decorate her room, but she's pretty down about the whole thing and didn't want to have a bunch of stuff to deal with. I just happen to have two large pickle jars out in the garage (The kids love pickles, what can I say?) and didn't want to throw them out b/c I knew I could do something cool with them. Now it will be something cool that will bless someone else. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

really, really cute! I need to go deli dumpster diving and get some jars, I have lots of leftover decor that I could fill it with!
Toni

mom_of2boys said...

Those are really cute! What a great idea.

Audra Krell said...

These are beautiful. What a great way to spread Christmas cheer!

Anonymous said...

I love this. I'll be using this idea for gifts this year. We are doing a homemade Christmas & we have to make ours.

Niki Jolene said...

I just heard someone making fun of these the other day and I honestly had never ever heard of them or seen them.

I think they are adorable! Love the lights in there.

:)

Michaelle said...

That is beautiful! Great idea!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Wow! Those jars are way too cute!