Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Simplify Camp Side Cooking!


Let's face it. Mature stomachs can only take so many hot dogs cooked over the fire--no matter how much the kids enjoy roasting them! That's why we take along these two handy cooking items. Each opens up a whole new world of cooking possibilities, since most campsites have electric. All you need is an extension cord and one of these, and you're in business!

Oh, yes, and do you know what the best thing is about using these? Clean up is simple. Just wipe out any glumps, add some soapy water, heat, and wash! You can wash any utensils in the pot while you're at it! This definitely works for me!

Here are some things we cook up in the electric skillet:
  • Bacon, sausage, eggs, and potatoes.
  • Corned Beef Hash.
  • Grilled Cheese with Ham.
  • Italian sausages with onion, pepper and tomato sauce (Mmmm.)
  • Sloppy Joe.
  • Ravioli.
  • Fried Chicken.
  • Hamburgers.
  • Chili.
  • Cheese Steaks.
For the crock pot, I usually make whatever I'm planning ahead of time, freeze if convenient, and put it in the pot the morning we'll be eating it. Works great!

Here are some Crock Pot favorites:
  • Again, Chili.
  • Beef Stew.
  • Potato Soup.
  • Meatballs in Sauce for Sandwiches
There are just so many things you can do with both of them! Do you have any other suggestions??

By the way, we're going camping next week and I'm looking for a good Beef Stew Recipe. If you have a favorite, I'd love to see it! I've never made it from scratch before, but I have a bunch of stew meat in the freezer from the half steer we bought in the spring.

Don't forget to head back over to Works for Me Wednesday and see what other great tips you can find!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never considered bringing our crock pot camping...but why not?? Great idea. Thanks!

The Apron Queen said...

Now I want to go camping! :)

John and Lisa said...

Great idea! We camped in Texas this past July, and got a camper cabin with electricity so we stopped at Wal-Mart and bought an oscillating fan. I didn't think about the convenience of electric appliances while camping!

Grammy said...

Hope you have lot's of fun on your camping trip. I would have never thought of bring them. Thanks

mub said...

I love my electric skillet, it's so handy!

Anonymous said...

We use a electric griddle and electric skillet all the time camping because we don't use our propane up. And, it's nice to stand outside and cook.